DIY // Copper & Wood Shelf

Dan and I have been doing a lot of rearranging, purging, and trying our best to utilize vertical space for little Klenner to join us in our little one bedroom apartment. We completely re-arranged our bedroom, got rid of dressers, got a new, higher, bed frame for some added storage under our bed. I think once I've completely finished I'll share more on some of the things that have helped us be more efficient with limited space.

This one corner of our bedroom was always cluttered, we had a dresser with broken drawers that didn't get much use (but it's so pretty, going to turn it into a cabinet eventually!) So we put that into storage for the time being, it usually just lived under a massive pile of clothes. We both came up with this idea after seeing so many beautiful copper piping shelves all over Pinterest. After doing our first Home Depot run to price out the shelf, we realized copper piping is expensive! I was pretty set on copper after finding these two beautiful baskets at Home Sense, and knew I wanted lots of copper accents in our "bedroom makeover."

I'm so happy with how this shelf turned out. I had originally planned to do a full DIY, but it ended up being a bit more complicated than planned, so I thought I would share the final product and let it more of an inspiration, but I will share how Dan built it! 

Here are all the main fittings we used:
Flange x 10  Home Depot doesn't make these in copper, so we bought spray paint to make them match
- Elbow x 2 
- Fitting x 6
- 2 bags of tube clamps

Instead of doing the full copper piping, because it was way over our budget, we used these wooden dowels. They fit perfectly into all of the fittings, and I really like the way they turned out!  They came in 5 foot pieces, so Dan cut them into 1 feet (for the horizontal pieces) and 1.5 feet for the vertical pieces. 

We wanted the shelves nice and spaced out so we can use them more practically than just for plants ;) Now I'm on the hunt for some pretty baskets and things so we can utilize this space well, and store clothes and diapers and all those fun things.

One thing that was a bit of a tedious task was we could only find these flanges in 3/4 inch. It turned out well though, Dan had to whittle away with a knife at the end of the dowel to chisel it down, and then screwed it in with a bit of glue so they're really wedged in there! 

I'm so happy with the way it turned out, it changes our room so much, totally opens it up and makes it feel a lot bigger. I think we're going to make some side tables to match it, and I'll use the spray paint we bought to add some more copper touches to the room! 

15 Comments