We are excited to introduce you to Sophie, a food blogger over at Whole Hearted Eats! She made this incredibly yummy Strawberry Shortcake recipe for us all to swoon over. Can't wait to try it! Thanks Sophie!
Wholegrain Shortcakes with Chocolate Coconut Cream
2 Cups Flour (1 cup white and one cup wholegrain – spelt or wheat)
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/3 Agave or Maple Syrup
1/3 Melted Coconut Oil
1/3 Cup Almond Milk
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Almond Milk, to wash
Evaporated Cane Sugar, for the top
Fresh Berries, cut if large (to serve)
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir in the agave/maple syrup, almond milk, and vinegar mixing just until combined.
2. On a parchment lined tray, scoop six mounds of dough, gently smoothing the tops with your fingers.
3. Wash the tops with almond milk and sprinkle with some evaporated cane sugar.
4. Bake in 175 C (350 F) oven for 20 minutes.
5. Once cool, slice in half and serve with fresh berries and Chocolate Coconut Cream
Chocolate Coconut Cream
2 Cans of Coconut Milk (full fat, and best without stabilizers)
2 Tbsp. Icing Sugar
1 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Vanilla
1. Put the cans of coconut in the refrigerator overnight. The next day open the cans and scoop off the solid, creamy fat from the top of the can, leaving behind the watery portion (save the watery portion for smoothies, baking, or soup).
2. Beat the cream with an electric beater until soft peaks form.
3.Add the sugar, vanilla, and cocoa and beat for another few minutes. The mixture will not get as stiff as cow cream, but it will become a soft, whipped cream consistency. Store it the