These donuts destroyed me in the best way.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- vegetable oil for frying
1. Before you begin to mix the batter, pour the vegetable oil in the pot or deep fryer and begin to heat on medium.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well
3. Your oil should be ready! *Tip* stick end of wooden spoon in the pot and if bubbles form around it, it's hot enough! Place teaspoons of the dough in the hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes on both sides or until golden brown on both sides.
4. Remove from oil when finished and place on paper towels to absorb all the excess oil. Repeat 'til batter is gone!
Salted Caramel Sauce:
1. In a medium sized saucepan pour in 1 cup of water, add 2 cups of sugar into the middle of the pan, do not stir.
2. turn to high heat and let it boil, it should start turning an amber colour, turn it down to medium and let it boil for a few minutes, remove from heat. Add 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 tbsp of butter, and 1/2 tsp of sea salt. It will get chunky you just have to whisk it for a bit until creamy! Add about a cup of icing sugar to thicken it up.
We used tongs and dipped the donuts in the sauce (once the donuts were cooled down) and set on a cooling rack with a baking sheet under it. These were amazing. And very easy, just be careful and make sure you watch the oil. I (Tegan) saved some for the morning with my coffee, I put them in the fridge and they were soooooo yummy the next day. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. I think I should think about making myself some more....